Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ear Tube Surgery...

 Friday morning we woke up WAY too early (it was still dark outside) to travel to Plano for my ear tubes.  Mom decided to forgo seat belts and put my crib mattress in the car...

I was pretty awake and goofy though.  It was 5am and I was full of jokes and stories, I loved the idea of traveling in the dark...

I didn't show ANY fear until I saw the building and then mom watched it appear on my face.  At that moment she handed me a present from Mickey Mouse.  Some sticker books, 2 stuffed animals, magnet princess dolls and a letter from Mickey.  I was immediately distracted and wanted to go into the building to look at all my stuff (good job mom!)...

The waiting room had all kinds of fun toys...

A princess kitchen is way cooler than any other kind of kitchen!

My magnet princesses (not as good of quality as the Melissa and Doug ones)...

Sticker books...

and finally in my bed... it's funny that all these pictures are kind of out of focus because that's DEFINITELY how I felt on the giggle juice...

Can you tell mommy was nervous?

Feeling silly...


A short video of how funny the world seemed...

Every time mom would think about the surgery she would think about the moment they would wheel me back to the surgery room and how scared I would be and when she would think about it she would panic.  Luckily with all the giggle juice I wasn't upset at all...


There are no pictures from recovery.  I was a mess.  I came out of anesthesia sobbing and continued to cry for about 30 minutes.  I cried that my throat hurt and that my ears hurt and that I wanted it all to stop, I cried that I wanted to go home... it broke mommy's heart.  Finally mom convinced the nurses that going home would be best and we headed home. I cried all the way from Plano to Keller.  For the next 4 hours I would calm down, play nicely and then scream out in pain and cover my ears.  Mom called the doctor's office and was relieved to find out that it was a side effect from the anesthesia and that it was "hysterical" i.e. I wasn't really in pain.  At that point mom just started working with me on breathing through it and I started calming down. 

1st nap of the day...

 After I ate lunch and took a long nap I started feeling much better (I was very sensitive to noise and heat seemed to make my ears feel better so we resorted to digging out my warm hats)...
 











At some point in my screaming on the way home from the hospital mom tried to distract me with "what did I want to do when I felt better".  She was expecting me to say Legoland or the zoo or Six Flags... my answer Barnes and Noble.  The rest of the day when I wasn't crying I would say "I want to go to Barnes and Noble now".  So when I woke up from my hat we headed out...
And yes I wore my winter hat in the store...
We are so thankful that the day is over and today was MUCH better.  Let's pray these tubes work and I don't get any more ear infections!

No comments: