Friday, August 14, 2009

Circus! Circus! Circus!

Note for mom: Every summer as a kid I would go spend a couple of weeks with my grandparents in Houston and attend "Camp Grandpa". Part of Camp Grandpa was a trip to the Barnum & Bailey Circus. The circus was always one of my favorite parts of summer and a cherished part of my childhood. I have dreamed of experiencing the circus through the eyes of my children and I have to say today was pretty extraordinary! Definitely on my Top 20 list of being a parent!

Mom has been preparing me for my trip to the circus for a couple of weeks now. We rented the Barney Goes to the Circus DVD from Netflix and mom kept explaining to me that I was going to get to go too... HOW FUN!

Since I didn't own a circus shirt, mom decided to have one custom made for me on etsy. Isn't it super cute?


Mom even made me a bow to match!


Daddy took the morning off of work to go with us...


This was actually my first trip to downtown Fort Worth... crazy huh?


Look at the awesome vintage posters behind us. Mom could stare at them all day...


Here I am in my shirt and bow, WAY too consumed to look at the camera...


Our first stop was the Animal Open House. It opens an hour and a half before the show starts and we got to see ALL the animals! Elephants, puppies, tigers, horses, and even some pigs and goats!

Here I am in front of the ponies...


and checking out the elephants...


I think daddy really enjoyed the circus too!


Pointing out the pig to daddy...


Making elephant noises...


and standing with daddy in front of one of the trailers...


Mommy bought me a clown that looks like the clown on my t-shirt!


Checking her out...


Next we headed down to the arena floor for the pre-show activities... Look how amazed dad and I look...


It was awesome! All of the clowns were out and they had some of the acrobats and great music!


Daddy tried to convince me to dress up like a clown, but I wouldn't go for it...


He made a great clown though!


See me sitting on daddy's shoulders watching the clown?


He was mom's favorite... he was like a punk rock clown...


Proof that mom was there (I just have a better vantage point on dad's shoulders)...


I got to sit on one of the BIG motorcycles... vroom vroom...


and one of the trapeze girls even performed...


Sitting in amazement...


Dancing!


Hugs...


I think this was my favorite part of the circus... who wants to sit still in a seat for 2 hours when you can play with all the clowns on the arena floor?


Check out the elephant painting!


We took a break from all the loud music to sit out in the hallway and eat a snack... it was a much needed break!


Mom got in on the clown antics too...


Then we headed to our seats...


Finally the show began!


I spent MOST of the circus like this... we were on the front row of our section and there was a bar in front of us (kind of a distraction, but I figured out how to see around it)...


Look at the motorcycle on a tight rope!


another spot I spent a lot of the circus...


The tigers and elephants were definitely my favorites...


Even though I was quite squirmy, mom and dad were pretty amazed at my attention span...


"Daddy are you seeing this?"


I spent most of the tiger's performance growling...


"This is so cool!"


Toddler amazement...



The big finale! All in all we were there 4 hours! Can you believe I made it through all of it?


And even crazier that I didn't fall asleep on my way home?


I was having too much fun with my new clown friend to sleep! But I took a great nap once I got home...


We had a great dinner with Jim and Leia tonight, but I'm too tired to upload the pictures... tomorrow!

No comments: